Some Preliminary Thoughts

Some people build rockets, others go fishing; I just analyze things. Here you'll find "mentions" of whatever I happen to be pondering and thinking through at the moment. I hope some of this is relevant to you as well.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

It's a deeper question than I can answer in a moment...

I was asked by a friend if if it was right for a mistake to be held against a person. They had messed up, confessed to God (and anyone else involved, I suppose), and moved on. But the consequences have apparently sprung up, bringing up the question they posed to me. I guess the pill wouldn't be hard to swallow, except that the apparent consequences are closed doors - dreams, purposes maybe, that the individual may have to sacrifice. Sounds like the Old Testament, I guess, but what about grace? When we repent doesn't that mean that our transgressions are removed? It's a difficult question to answer, but possibly harder accept...

I wonder if rules/laws are misunderstood; or rather, their purpose is misunderstood. Their purpose is to keep this world in harmony - livable, sustainable, in working condition. Actually, they are for our benefit. Some choices inherently introduce dysfunction and others bring about peace and harmony. I really don't think God picked a side on the day of creation and said, "oh, I want this to be right. And maybe I'll make this wrong," etc. I think the principles of functionality have been around as long as He has - that's what He is. Alright, so where am I going with this? Well, we can make choices today; God lets us do that. And, because there is sin in the world, there will always be an option that creates dysfunction and turmoil.  Some rules don't deal directly with relationships with other people; they're intended more to keep operating harmony in the world: you know, speed limits, schooling requirements, and such. If those rules are broken - you may find that there are few long-term consequences. But I think the majority of rules - or I'll say principles (because often they are God-given, but not legally enforced) - are in regards to how we relate to other people. God knows exactly what makes His creation dysfunctional and He is saddened when we "malfunction". A mistake in this area can be forgiven, but serious wounds will scar, and you will likely find that the consequences haunt you long after the mistake was forgiven and put out of sight.

Um, two thoughts...
One; about the mistake - the more trust that was broken, the further the consequences will haunt you in life...

And the other thing; We used to be in perfect harmony, but with sin in the world now I think the focus is no longer to re-create that scenario - that's God's job. Instead, I think our focus should be internal harmony (so to speak). We will no longer glorify God as a planet, but we can do it individually; and that is the best witness we can be...







No comments: