Some Preliminary Thoughts

Some people build rockets, others go fishing; I just analyze things. Here you'll find "mentions" of whatever I happen to be pondering and thinking through at the moment. I hope some of this is relevant to you as well.

Monday, February 6, 2012

A Forgotten Reminder

I think we forget something - quite often actually. I think we get such a sense of urgency in some things that we forget to be patient. You know, our priorities are based on what is most urgent to us; from top down, in descending order, we worry less and less about something (and allot less energy towards). What we forget is to be cautious, because some things that "feel" urgent really aren't urgent at all. See, we need to be aware that feelings can motivate us to attach urgency to something and elevate it to an unhealthy position in our hierarchy of priorities. I suppose that there are many things that can end up being "insubordinate" in this way, but I guess I'm thinking about people. Yeah, maybe you're tired of me talking about relationships - but I spend a lot of time here because I'm trying to figure something out that my society has screwed up. And I'm trying to do this right. 
So, here's the pattern: somebody sees somebody else and, for whatever reason, is attracted to them. And this prompts them to try with some effort to get the object of their affections to attach back to them. That's it in a nutshell (or a few cryptic sentences). Hmm, well I can't disprove anything so far - but I guess my point is deeper than this, it's the thought process that I think is messed up. I know it varies from person to person, but it goes something like this: "Omg, that person is really good looking, and they (insert random activity or hobby or personality here), I really think I would fit well with this person; now how can I get them to like me, what should I do to get their attention cause it's suddenly really important to me that they like me back. Oh, look what how much attention they are giving to that person - I've got to one-up it, lets see what can I do? etc,etc..." You get the picture. 
I like how the most logical and stable people can suddenly lose their perspective of tomorrow and worry only about what would feel best, or be best for them, simply because there is someone they are trying to possess. I guess this is what I mean by "urgency" - the sense that you need to forge a stronger attachment than someone else to the object of your affections, so that your's is the bond that is not broken when everyone starts pulling in opposite directions. 

I don't know about anyone else, but I am trying to pursue patience. And as hard as it is, to trust instead of getting caught up in the "urgency" that I see everywhere. I know the feelings that prompt it, and I think I know why so many people choose that route over patience - it's fear. And fear is a lack of trust - fear is a lack of love...

There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear...

No comments: