Some Preliminary Thoughts

Some people build rockets, others go fishing; I just analyze things. Here you'll find "mentions" of whatever I happen to be pondering and thinking through at the moment. I hope some of this is relevant to you as well.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

I'll take a rain-check on that

I have yet to discover that my plan is better than God's. I act like it a lot, but if you were to crunch the numbers and come up with some stats it would be like a bazillion to none - in God's favor. That's not to say that I am never somewhere that I don't want to be; but in most cases, my ability to accept what comes my way is directly related to where my perspective is. In other words, the more I depend on myself, the harder it is to accept something that will alter my plans.
I guess my tendency is to notice God's presence only when He is changing my plans - and not when He is supporting them. Really, this makes me sort of a hypocrite; and I can easily start to consider God some herald-er of woe, when really He's there all the time opening doors and closing them. And sometimes it can seem like God is only closing the doors to get my attention. I don't know, but I like to think that God is bigger than that - meaning, that He has more than one reason for doing any given action. So, if He closes a door it's probably for more than just to get my attention. And that helps, because it reveals the amount of control that God has over his creation -  and it's something that He uses to help me grow more mature. He's got all this power and instead of making me turn out the way He wants, He uses that power to teach me and instruct me in whatever life situation I'm in at the moment. And that's why His plan is better - not because it's more efficient, but because it more forgiving than mine is.
So as I find myself faced with a set-back, it's better for me to remember that trusting God will result in less bitterness and more grace - and that's a better place to be regardless. 

No comments: