Some Preliminary Thoughts

Some people build rockets, others go fishing; I just analyze things. Here you'll find "mentions" of whatever I happen to be pondering and thinking through at the moment. I hope some of this is relevant to you as well.

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Maybe just a little more lemon...

Sometimes, I need to be reminded that I'm still alive; even when I've lost focus, even when I've tried and failed, even when I've been left hurt and alone, and especially when I can't see the road ahead. And yet, I'm still alive, and the life I have belongs to God. It's interesting how living according to God's purpose is a lot like dying; giving up your dreams, giving up your contentment, giving up your friends - everything that is of value - sounds a lot like death to me. Maybe that's why God says in order to live, one must die; die to this world and everything in it, even the relationships are valued the most; and in all reality, it's not that big of a step from there to actual death. And yet, God just asks that I trust Him. It's not a budgeted investment; I either trust Him the whole way through, or I leave at the door. And I'm giving it my best shot to trust Him the whole way through. So, sometimes I just need to be reminded that I'm still alive - I'm not dead, so He hasn't failed me.
And also, I need to remember what I'm here for - what is keeping me alive - and what isn't. God is what is keeping me alive, what I can get without Him doesn't cut it - it doesn't give me hope. Given that, is there anything that I should allow to restrain me from following Him?

P.S. I don't like vague optimism; and this paragraph reeks of it. I leaves the reader (and the writer) with a
        sense of half-formed resolve - like a glass of lukewarm water. It seems inaccurate, veiled, as though I
        am trying to indirectly address one issue by addressing another, irrelevant, one. And when a writer
        senses this confusion it is a good idea to stop and restructure his thought chain, so as to squarely
        address the issue, both in his mind and on paper.        

No comments: