Some Preliminary Thoughts

Some people build rockets, others go fishing; I just analyze things. Here you'll find "mentions" of whatever I happen to be pondering and thinking through at the moment. I hope some of this is relevant to you as well.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

An Ode To My Parents...

I was just thinking...

I guess I always knew that parents weren't perfect. I was always told that, and I think everyone agrees that people aren't perfect - and parents are people. I was just thinking of the way I was brought up, the way I was taught, the patterns and behaviors that are with me now. And I just wanted to say that I think parenting has kinda gotten the bad rap - really gotten the bad rap. Like something was done wrong, something that has to be done better, something that has to be changed because of the baggage that has resulted - baggage that causes pain and hurt. And I see the changes that have been made and the intention to not produce the same baggage. But maybe that's the thing about parenting; no matter what methods are used, it will always be incomplete and there will always be baggage. Maybe God wants it that way, because He is the One that makes the method complete, He fills in the holes and takes the baggage that is produced. If parenting could be perfected, then no one would ever need to leave home, no one would never need to mature as an individual, no one would ever need any more faith than what their parents had, no one would ever need to have a personal relationship with God - their parents would be enough...
So parenting is not about turning out perfect kids before God, it's about doing the best job you can and then turning them over, broken and incomplete, to God to continue His work and draw them towards perfection. I hope that's an encouragement...

I am crying...

No comments: