Some Preliminary Thoughts

Some people build rockets, others go fishing; I just analyze things. Here you'll find "mentions" of whatever I happen to be pondering and thinking through at the moment. I hope some of this is relevant to you as well.

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Some Thoughts On Communication

I noticed something today; I noticed the difference between speaking to someone and actually communicating to them. Good speakers are few - people who can intelligently phrase their words and captivate the listener while talking about something worthwhile. And yet, the vast majority of good speakers never actually communicate. You listen to good speakers and it makes and impression on your mind: "yes, he makes sense. He's right, we should take his advice". But there it stops, you are only motivated while he is "pushing" you - once the push of his logical words and argument is gone, then you return to your normal life. Sadly, I can think of many situations in my life where I heard truth and was captivated, but it never went any further because it failed to be communicated to me. Why does it seem like that is the case? Why can't you just speak change into someone when they are struggling? You can lay truth in front of them, you can make it into an irrefutable argument, and you can even capture their attention for a time and watch them leave with a motivation that seems real, only to see nothing. I'm laying a case here that it is impossible to genuinely motivate people with speaking. This would mean that "motivational speakers" is an oxymoron and they aren't of any use. Speaking only leaves people with a pseudo-motivation and that eventually causes people to become disillusioned with truth and those who communicate it - and disregard it. You come, you speak, you shout and stomp, you wave your hands in the air, you act cool and collected, calmly laying out your hypothesis, you expend all your energy to get you point across and make their mindset change (some do maybe), but a stolid group remains. The people that really need to hear what you have say the most - why don't they get it? 

 So what's wrong with that picture?

Our mindset is the list of truths that we see as reality; it's what dictates our decisions, perceptions, responses, etc. This is what must be changed in order to affect our behaviors and, really, our lifestyle. Speakers attempt to do this by convincing the mind that their way makes sense and is true, but  - strangely enough - our mindset is not set by our mind; it's set by our heart. And therefore, "changing our mind", really doesn't help the issue; It's our heart that needs to be changed. And the thing is, that the heart can sense when the mind is being addressed and when it does, it zones out. And is then unaffected by what is being spoken. Communicators address the heart. And that requires understanding the person; being able to put yourself in their heart and see their "reality" from their view. It requires the presence of God in one's heart - a sense of His grace and an overwhelming amount of His love for people. The very thing that makes a good speaker good at speaking, makes him unable to communicate. I know which one I try to be. Communication is huge, so huge in healthy relationships and restoration - I'll post more on that when my thoughts get more in order.

2 comments:

mandypies said...

This was really fascinating! I'm a communications major so this is right up my alley. I do think there are SOME things that our minds can be convinced of, but I think those are the things our heart isn't really involved in anyways. For example. If you wanted to convince a non-smoker that smoking is bad for you, you could lay out all the facts and be pretty confident that the listener will agree with you never start smoking. But if you try to convince a smoker that smoking is bad, it will never happen. People who smoke are, I guess, emotionally attached to their habit. Would you call that emotional?
Anyways. I agree, the best persuaders are the ones who can affect your emotions and needs, because those are so much more powerful than logic. Humans are very reasoning creatures, but first and foremose, we're instinctual. Watch any TV commercial and you'll emotions being catered to almost every time.
This is really good! You should get a communication degree!

Cas-E said...

That is, actually, a very nice comment - thank you. It's good to know that my thoughts are "followable"; that I'm not floating everything above people's heads. And I hope that I am "communicating" (ha) what I share here - at least, as well as I can without it being in person.